Founded in 2009 by serial entrepreneur Amr Salahieh, Shifamed LLC is a privately held medical technology innovation hub focused on the development of novel medical products to address clinical needs in the rapidly evolving fields of cardiology and ophthalmology.
As Shifamed’s portfolio of companies continues to expand, we are looking for a Patent Agent to work in a fast-paced, dynamic and innovative environment. This is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to be a part of several startups at once from the research stage through early clinical experience.
The primary role of the Patent Agent will be to partner with the R&D teams to develop and enhance Shifamed’s patent portfolio. The Patent Agent will be responsible for capturing inventions and drafting high-quality patent applications in support of the portfolio companies and new projects. The ideal candidate will have high technical acumen and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment with a large degree of autonomy and visibility.
• Capture and/or compile new ideas from various sources within Shifamed to drive new patent filings and strategic portfolio development.
• Draft patent applications in their entirety; manage outside IP counsel.
• File patent applications, office actions, and other necessary documents as necessary.
• Create reports and analytical tools for communicating with portfolio company CEOs and other business partners.
• Contribute to developing and improving patent intelligence at Shifamed.
• Contribute to the overall patent strategy taking into consideration Shifamed’s current portfolio companies, future projects, and business priorities.
• Maintain the patent portfolio management database and contribute to improving the tools and processes for the IP function; manage the internal reference library and coordinate with patent search partners; manage annuity service provider.
• Review new product designs and technologies and provide IP input in the development process; conduct patent clearance and freedom-to-operate analyses that drive innovation and strategic acquisitions.
• Conduct IP diligence for internal and external opportunities as necessary.
• Provide patent training and education to technical staff as necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• B.S. in Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Electrical Engineering; Advanced degree and/or R&D experience at medical device companies preferred.
• Registration to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office.
• 3+ years of experience as a patent practitioner in a law firm or corporate setting, preferably working with medical device technology.
• Ability and desire to prepare patent applications with minimal supervision.
• Experience drafting at least 30 patent applications.
Please email your résumé and details to: firstname.lastname@example.org.