R&D Engineer, Supira Medical
ABOUT SHIFAMED AND SUPIRA MEDICAL
Founded in 2009 by serial entrepreneur Amr Salahieh, Shifamed LLC is a privately held medical technology incubator focused on the development of novel medical products to address clinical needs in the rapidly evolving fields of cardiology and ophthalmology.
Supira Medical is an early stage Shifamed portfolio company developing a next-generation percutaneous ventricular assist device.
We are currently looking for a hands-on engineer with a strong experimental/testing background who has strong analytical skills and is a collaborative team player. This position represents an exciting opportunity to join the Supira team in its early stage and help us develop a product from proof of concept to being ready for clinical use.
As an R&D Engineer on the Supira team, you will play a key role in verification & validation testing, supporting the product’s design and development for clinical use.
Including, but not limited to:
- Work as part of a cross-functional team to create, evaluate, verify and validate product designs through bench and preclinical testing
- Responsible for scheduling, prioritizing, and running hemolysis and simulated use tests
- Support testing throughout, including identifying and obtaining new equipment, developing fixtures, maintaining equipment and supplies, and preparing technical documentation including work instructions, test methods, and test reports using good documentation practices
- Assist in the development of hardware and software for system control and logic
- Provide engineering feedback for device optimization by working directly with the team and in the form of written reports and technical presentations to management
- Assist in preclinical studies, as needed
- Train technicians and assemblers, as needed
- Contribute to the intellectual property position of the company via lab notebook documentation, invention disclosures and prototypes to demonstrate reduction to practice. Participate in technical brainstorming sessions to generate new intellectual property.
REQUIRED SKILLS, ABILITIES & EXPERIENCE
- Proficient in CAD design (Solid Works), basic statistics, and documentation software (MS Office); LabView experience a plus
- Mechanically inclined, detail oriented, and quality minded
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Experience in designing and fabricating test fixtures, assembly fixtures, and/or processing equipment
- Experience working in a lab environment
- Basic biology or chemistry lab skills including pipetting, spectrophotometric analysis, and centrifugation a plus
- Working knowledge of medical device regulations; GDP training a plus
- Comfortable handling animal organs, including blood
- Ability to work independently or in project team setting
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal
- Ability to travel
REQUIRED EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE
- BS degree in Mechanical or Biomedical Engineering
- 1-3+ years’ work experience, in the medical device industry preferred
Please email your résumé and details to: firstname.lastname@example.org.